Rispondi
LLGrappling
Viola 1°
Viola 1°
Reactions: 0
Disciplina:Lotta Greco Romana, Libera, Grappling
Contatta:

10/03/2009, 9:32

From Amateur to Entertainer to Fighter: Brock Lesnar has succeeded at them all.

By: The Open Mat, 03-08-09
The quest for a calling is something we all struggle with at one point in our lives. Some of us have to search a little harder than others, but not Brock Lesnar. It seems that anything he tries, from pro football to pro wrestling, he experiences a degree of success that we keyboard jockeys can only dream about. Maybe that is why Brock draws both tremendous praise and harsh criticism from so many. No matter how you feel about him, when he steps into the octagon everyone shuts up and watches. We at theopenmat.com had the privilege of interviewing Brock and we found out how this small town phenomenon is dealing with his success while staying focused on the task at hand, which is defending his UFC title.

What has been the biggest difference for you between Collegiate Wrestling and MMA?

BL: For me it’s been refreshing. Towards the end of my college career I was feeling burned out. MMA has allowed me to add some tools such as striking and grappling to the wrestling side. It’s a new atmosphere that has re-energized me.

In many cases you have been considered an “underdog,” yet you keep proving your doubters wrong. What are your thoughts on them?

BL: I have never viewed myself as an underdog. I have never paid much attention to those who think I am not ready or that view me as an underdog. The thing is that in life you always have to prove yourself. Respect, in my opinion, is earned and I have no issue earning it. The biggest thing is that I never have a doubt in my mind about whatever it is I am doing.

How much time do you spend on training in different disciplines and how has your training regiment changed since wrestling at Minnesota?

BL: We keep things balanced in out training. We have striking days, grappling days etc… I try not to spend too much time on one discipline. My training has not changed that much. Each match there is a game plan, but it is a loose plan. Things can change in a hurry in the middle of the match and you have to be prepared for whatever comes your way. Also, I had to learn to stay patient and not let the pressure get to me. Often I keep score in my head. An example of that would be in the match with Randy, he cut me first. Once I was cut I knew I had to score and score fast to make a statement in the fight. Our game plan was to keep the pressure on him and put my size to use. I feel like we did that and the results showed it.

We hold two-week mini camps once a month where we focus on strength and conditioning. Then we hold the final camp eight weeks out from the event. For my first few fights we actually held a 14 week and a 12 week camp. I had a lot to learn. I feel that I am now at a point where I know my style and can focus more on fine tuning so the camps are a bit shorter.

Are there other details about your training you don’t mind sharing?

BL: Marty (Morgan) has been huge in cycling my camps and setting up my training schedule. Camps can get pretty stale and Marty does a great job of mixing things up and keeping it fresh.

What is your view on MMA and its impact on amateur wrestling?

BL: I think the transition for wrestlers to MMA is easier then any other sport. Knowing how to control your opponent, keep good position and working towards dominance of the other guy are all qualities that work well in MMA. I view the emergence of MMA as an opportunity for wrestlers and I am happy that I have made it. I see it as another door for guys in the sport. It’s an opportunity to take your skills to a new level and learn some new ones as well. I also see it as a chance for someone to make a career out of something they spent so much time doing. I also think that it will lead to an increased interest in the youth levels of wrestling as they see wrestling as a way to get into MMA. There will always be some old timers out there that see it as a threat but I see it as bringing more respect to the sport of wrestling.

Tell me about your “Team” those you have surrounded yourself with.

BL: My trainer is Greg Nelson and I owe him a lot of credit for my success. Marty Morgan is in charge of my camps and schedules as well as my strength and conditioning. Marty and I have a history, he knows my limits and I believe in his training system. As for partners, we rotate a lot of guys in and out such as Erik Paulson and a wide variety of other guys. Like I said, I know what I can do now so we can really focus on more of the details to sharpen my skills.

How have you made the transition from Brock the WWE Champion to Brock the UFC Champion?

BL: In MMA you are not just an entertainer. You are an entertainer as well as a competitor with real athletic skills. Here (in MMA) I control my destiny, not like pro-wrestling. In the MMA I am just me, being myself, no persona. As for the fans, they do not faze me; you will always have those who like you and those who don’t. The thing is no matter if they like you or not, they are paying attention to you.

Do you keep tabs on amateur wrestling?

BL: I do as much as I can, and obviously I keep tabs on the Minnesota Wrestling Gophers. One thing is that this keeps you pretty busy and I do not want to spread myself too thin.

How does it feel to have reached the top of the UFC, the largest stage in MMA, so quickly?

BL: I have been fortunate. Also, losing early was humbling but at the same time it was a positive experience for me. I fed off the loss and built off that to improve myself. When I first approached Dana White, I told him I wanted to fight the best the UFC had to offer. I had the marketing appeal for them as well. At the end of the day this is also a business for me and the UFC, and having me fight the best in the UFC is good for all of us.

What are you thoughts about Frank Mir having to reschedule the fight for UFC 98 to July 11, 2009 in Las Vegas?

BL: Well I am glad it’s not me. Getting injured is part of the sport and it happens. It is what it is and I will just adjust my training to fit that time frame.

How will your training change with the date change?

BL: We will keep our original eight-week camp scheduled but will reduce it to four weeks. We already had guys set to come out, so we will follow through with that. Then I will take a small “combat” break and continue with my strength and conditioning. We will start up again when we are eight weeks out.

Do you feel there is something in particular you need to focus on for this rematch with Frank Mir?

BL: No, not really. I will be focused on what I need to do and improve as a fighter regardless. We know he is tough on the ground so obviously I will focus on some of my defense, but like I said earlier I feel that losses have always helped to make me more focused and have helped me improve.

What is your “end game”, how long will you stay in the UFC?

BL: I am not sure. Right now I get to do something I love, I am having success, living the lifestyle I like and I am healthy. The most important thing in my life is my family. As of now I am taking it one fight at a time. *

People who don’t follow Mixed Martial Arts probably still know Brock Lesnar’s name. Some people know his name for the right reasons, such as his work ethic, poise under pressure and intensity. Others love to hate him for reasons that are out of his hands, such as his whirlwind ride to the top of the UFC. No matter how you feel about him, he makes you pay attention, and when a man such as Brock Lesnar loves to fight as much as he does, we are all the better for witnessing.

Fonte : http://theopenmat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rispondi
  • Informazione